Hey, We're Hiring!
Intern and Field Manager
Paid + Full-Time | 4 Month Position | Entry Level | Starting Immediately
We’re looking for an energetic, gets-shit-done Intern + Field Manager to join our close-knit creative team. We’re excited to see our creative technology studio growing, and we need your help. Our studio is a secret weapon for event planners, agencies, and brands in Toronto and around the world, and you’ll be helping us strengthen our technical and logistical punch. Our projects almost always involve an interactive experience at a live event, making our studio a pretty fast-paced and high-energy place, one where we all wear many hats. Your experience will be no different – splitting your time between in-studio production, and on-site event execution and guest engagement. In studio, you’ll help with production and technical setups. On-site at events, you'll be leading our events team and coordinating with clients to bring that planning to life. Your work will be challenging and your opinions will matter. An independent, forward thinking mindset will serve you well, as well as a willingness to do, fail, learn, and repeat. This is a full-time position with irregular hours, which means you'll need the flexibility to work evenings and weekends on relatively short notice. Your responsibilities will include:
Technical. In studio, you’ll manage our technical inventory, and pack for events. At events themselves, you’ll help set up our interactives and problem solve in a live, client-facing environment. You’ll also help to be on-call when our events team needs support.
Production. You’ll quickly grow to be a wiz with our three laser cutters and fleet of 3D printers. You’ll assist with prototyping and production work in a big way.
Field Management. You’ll often lead our team on-site in executing our events, and you’ll be expected to travel (across Toronto, the US, and overseas). When travelling outside of the GTA, travel costs, accommodations, and a per-diem are of course provided.
Operations. You'll help with a wide variety of operational errands, from supply pickups to equipment maintenance.
- Your friends describe you as energetic and outgoing, with a get-shit-done attitude
- You can handle a flexible schedule and are able to work evenings and weekends
- You're an exceptional communicator
- You’re a collaborator and can take charge when necessary
- You must feel comfortable lifting heavy equipment more than 100 lbs. (This is really important, as you will be regularly helping move heavy equipment)
- You must have a driver's license and are comfortable driving long distances
- You must have a passport, can travel to the USA and overseas, and like to do so
- You don’t mind the small tasks and know they make all the difference in the big picture
- (Bonus Points) You have experience in the field of marketing, communication, or event planning
- (Bonus Points) You have 3D design experience for 3D printing
- (Bonus Points) You have experience with using 3D Printers, laser cutters, or other Maker tools
Three years ago, we took eight 3D printers to a Toronto bar and taught design ‘till last call. We’ve since taken all our tools out of the lab, inventing ways to spark wonder and creativity in unexpected places. We stretch technology beyond its design intent, creating accessible, collaborative, and interactive experiences at events around the world. Our studio is filled with laser cutters, light tables, fabric printers, projectors and food photo booths. Creative people looking to solve interesting technical and design challenges will find their place here.
- Opportunity for paid work/travel adventures
- Fast-paced learning environment between advertising, marketing and event planning fields
- Opportunity for contract extension
- Free access to 3D printers and laser cutters for personal projects
- Front row view of a high-growth startup
- Health benefits after three months of employment
How to Apply
Please apply via Workable. We regret that we are unable to reply to applications sent via email. While we read every resume and portfolio piece, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. MakeLab is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive hiring practices.