Hey, We're Hiring!
We're hiring a Studio Intern and would love to hear from you.
Full-Time | Entry-Level | Accepting Rolling Applications
About MakeLab. Three years ago, we took eight 3D printers to a Toronto bar and taught design ‘till last call. We’ve since taken all our tools out of the lab, inventing ways to spark wonder and creativity in unexpected places. Our hands-on laser cutters, light tables, fabric printers, and food photo booths have been featured at the ROM, AGO, Fashion Week and TIFF, and at the centre of custom experiences for brands like Absolut, Microsoft, Samsung, Lexus and Lamborghini. Our mission is to invent hands-on interactive experiences around the world, and we’re turning up our R&D in a big way.
The Position. This is a hands-on position, and we’ll be teaching you everything you need to know about 3D printing, laser cutting and the new tech we find ourselves playing with each week. You’ll learn how to exhibit these tools in a live-event setting and all the challenges that come along with it. You’ll get exposure to a variety of creative tech and challenges, and you’ll do it in a fun, creative and challenging work environment with a unique business model. Compensation is commensurate with an entry level position.
You'll assist with:
- Event Planning + Equipment Management. You'll work with our technical lead to organize and maintain our equipment and creative inventory. You'll take the lead in packing and unpacking for all our events, ensuring that our event coordinators have the right combination of equipment they need to execute our technical interactive on-site. You'll also build on our systems to make that process more efficient and reliable. You'll help us track project costs, visit vendors and clients to and coordinate drop offs and pick ups.
- Studio Maintenance and Office Management. You’ll help design and improve our studio space to suit our changing project work, and keep our studio beautiful and organized.
- Creative Development. You’ll work with our technical lead to help envision, prototype, and execute new projects. You’ll also help improve our current interactives by adding features, enhancing reliability, and making things more impactful and engaging.
- On-Site Staffing and Team Management. You’ll be on-site for many of our events, ready to learn all you can and teach others. You’ll be a strong leader for our events team and assist with scheduling. You’ll also lead our resource tracking and documentation.
You don’t need a depth of experience, but you should at least be interested in a few of the following — technology, event planning, startup culture, project management, design, or coding. You’re incredibly well organized, impeccably punctual, motivated by teamwork, and have your driver’s license (this is a must).
- Free access to 3D printers and laser cutters for personal projects
- Free membership to makerspaces in the city
- Front row view of a high-growth startup
- Experience working with digital fabrication tools
- Fast-paced learning environment between advertising, marketing and event planning fields
Send us your application at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Studio Intern. We read every cover letter and resume, and look at every website and portfolio piece. Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.