Hey! We're Hiring!
Creative Maker + Technologist
Full-Time | Starting Immediately
About MakeLab. Three years ago, we took eight 3D printers to a Toronto bar and taught design ‘till last call. We’ve since taken all our tools out of the lab, inventing ways to spark wonder and creativity in unexpected places. Our hands-on laser cutters, light tables, fabric printers, and food photo booths have been featured at the ROM, AGO, Fashion Week and TIFF, and at the centre of custom experiences for brands like Absolut, Microsoft, Samsung, Lexus and Lamborghini. Our mission is to invent hands-on interactive experiences around the world, and we’re turning up our R&D in a big way.
The Position. We’re looking for a technologist to help craft new event interactives, and enhance our current event offerings. You’ll work with our project leads and creative director to develop new ideas, and with our production team to improve our existing interactives. You’ll work against client deadlines on projects which entail weaving several machines and technologies into a unified, seamless workflow. The devil’s in the details of everything we do, and you’ll take the lead in selecting, testing, and integrating the best solutions to build experiences that are magical and practical. Some days will be about creative concept building, some will be focused on heads-down coding or fabrication, and many will involve bringing your creations to life at events. You will frequently own the development of your projects, and keep your project managers tightly in the loop.
- You have experience with makerspace tools including laser cutters and 3D printers.
- You have a variety of coding, electronics, and hardware experience, having worked with platforms like Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
- You have a portfolio of professional and personal projects with these tools.
- You don’t reinvent wheels. You have a good grasp of the state of Maker tech and of hardware and software solutions you can use to get you most of the way there. You deeply enjoy problem solving. You research, and you know where find the answers you need.
- You live to test. You know how to craft a good QA plan and will defend it in the context of tight deadlines. You trust nothing until it’s been put through realistic, plugs-out testing.
- You have working knowledge of a variety of Creative Cloud apps, with solid experience in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- You have an excellent design sense, and understand the difference between prototype and finished product.
- You are impeccably organized, love developing organizational systems, and understand that on-time means early.
- You’re often the most helpful person in any given room, and you're able to explain and teach tech in layman's terms to clients and team members who have limited tech knowledge.
- Free access to 3D printers and laser cutters for personal projects.
- Free membership to makerspaces in the city.
- Front row view of a high-growth startup
- Paid training opportunities and mentorship
- Fast-paced learning environment between advertising, marketing and event planning fields.
Send us your application, including your resume and samples of past work and projects you’re proud of, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line MakeLab Creative Technologist. We read every cover letter and resume, and look at every website and portfolio piece. Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Hey! We're looking for design interns!
Toronto | Full-Time Internship | Starting August/September 2016
MakeLab is a design studio that invents and produces interactive experiences for events. Our clients include marketing agencies, event planners, and internationally known brands like Absolut Vodka, Samsung, Microsoft, Reebok, and Toyota. We’re looking for a strong and energetic design intern to assist across our studio. This is a hands-on position, and we’ll be teaching you everything you need to know about 3D printing, laser cutting and the new tech we find ourselves playing with each week; with a strong focus on growing and learning as a designer. You’ll learn how to exhibit these tools and technologies in a live-event setting and all the challenges that come along with it. You’ll get exposure to a variety of creative tech, and you’ll do it in a fun, creative and challenging work environment. We are a small and close-knit team, and will look for support in all areas including design, operations, events and development projects.
We are a small startup, and we want to give you the experience and knowledge to grow in your field, and provide a lot of support along the way. That being said we will provide an honorarium at the end of your contract. If you are looking for a Co-Op opportunity, please let us know and we will see how we can accommodate accordingly for your course credits. As an intern you will be taking on many tasks and will have the opportunity to learn many aspects of start-up life. You will have the chance to be an apart of a young and growing company with a unique business model. This position is ideal for a designer interested in entrepreneurship and the worlds of marketing, and events.
- Working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop & InDesign
- Driver's license
- Interest in marketing, events, and technology
- Incredibly well organized, impeccably punctual, and motivated by teamwork.
What you'll gain:
- Hands on experience working with laser cutters, 3D printers, and other tools of fabrication
- Experience in creative design and event management
- Front row view of start up business
- Paid training opportunities and mentorship
- Honorarium upon contract completion
Ready to Apply? Great! Here's How:
Email email@example.com, subject line: Design Internship. Please include a cover letter and resume / LinkedIn profile, and portfolio.
We read every cover letter and resume, and look at every website and portfolio piece. Only candidates under consideration will be contacted.